Wednesday, March 17, 2010

DIY Film!

Orange County - Eno River

This is from first roll of home developed film ever. I shot it yesterday in some very flat light and developed it in Rodinal 1+100 in stand development (basically letting it sit in chemical undisturbed). These first negatives are dense with pronouced grain indicating some over-developement. Regardless, I got 3 shots where the grain was not too large, so I got some usuable negatives on my first try. I am so glad I know the exposures are right based on years of shooting and lab processing. Now I can taylor the development process while knowing I have the potential variable of the shooting correct. The best part will be being able to shoot film and see the results the same day. I've learned the entire process of film now, from shooting to printing and appreciate the amount of control one has over the whole thing. Film does become more artistically integral with the choices you can make about developing and printing film.

1 comment:

jannx said...

Holden, if your negs are too dense using an hour, dial back to 45 minutes and then 30 minutes to see how you like the results.