Sunday, February 22, 2009

Yes, Artisanal

Batch Toning - Finishing Prints

Batch toning the last step in finishing these darkroom prints. This is an ongoing batch of photographic prints that are drying after being toned with selenium. It makes the silver in the print not tarnish with age and can heighten contrast. Adding a bit of permanence to the work is a good idea considering the time involved in shooting, developing and printing the film. Yet another wet process the prints are put in water then agitated in Selenium until the contrast is how you want it to be and then washed one more time in another tray and put out to dry and be enjoyed!

As you can see I've been printing alot of large images. Been shooting more medium format film which makes for very detailed larger images. Slowly my portfolio is coming together. I'm in a great area to shoot some amazing outdoor locations. The Eno River, Occoneechee Mountain, New Hope Creek and some very beautiful forest in Durahm County.

I felt like all this shooting ahd photography was "action stuff" until I started printing. Then I realised that printing especially a learned craft. So yes, I feel Artisinal when I work on these...

2 comments:

Ann Marie Simard said...

Yes sir artisanal, wondrous work with those! The difference is obvious to me from digi scanned to those done by you, scanned, finished toned prints as seen in your stream. The contrast indeed is stronger and makes for lasting tones and treasures to keep.

Also what I find those I've seen in flickr generally speaking seem so much fresher not that all those water shots are not, they are, published ones and others alike. They just come more alive, crisper - vision to vision rendered, completed, finalized, what an important step in creative process.

And don't we all want to see 3D in the end, like holding a morning paper or a magazine. Pixel paper is just pixel paper, and shooting alone has its limits, here supremely surpassed. I have not integrally forgotten how it feels to process, to print, even if it's getting old. Safelight sun glow, working late at night alone.

What can I say but wonderful work all around. Yes artisanal. I know it's a great feeling. Good post, superb work...

jannx said...

Holden, I've got to say 'kudos' to you for embarking on an arduous path. Print making is a special interest now. More and more high profile photographers are using 'giclee'/ink jets for printing and abandoning colour printing due to it's complexity and costs. Even BW printing like you are doing is being jettisoned in favour of inkjets.

Having seen both I still prefer a silver print. We're fighting a tide but that doesn't mean that we won't have company.